Friday, October 11, 2019

“Societal Poly or Personal Poly?” (South Bay Polys #261 - Sept. 2017)

Saw a post on a poly Facebook site last night -- the poster launched into something about “how critical it is for us to understand Intersectionality so that we can smash the hated Patriarchal System that oppresses us all...”

I did a double-take.  For months I’ve been listening to people insist on the importance of “Intersectionality” in connection with gender studies and ethnic studies.  I still don’t get it--although I have become more and more aware of how each of our non-standard differences with society affects us.

This relates back to the question of whether we are “polys by choice” (as in making a conscious political/religious decision to be poly) or whether we are “polys by birth” (as in accepting our polyness as “simply the way we are,” accepting polyness as simply a “state of our being.”)

I myself begin with my own nature--which seems to be poly.  Based on that, I look outwards and grant other people the option of being polyamorous--or not.  I think some people feel happier living monogamously, while others feel happier living polyamorously.

This attitude may provoke societal change--but it grows from a personal outlook, not an explicit desire to upend the world.  And who knows what change it would actually bring about?

1 comment: