Monday, July 11, 2011

Making Friends Online -- My Own Rationale.

(This is the story of how I ended up with over 1,000 "friends" on Facebook.  I realize this approach is "not for everyone"--it's just a description of my own rationale).

fyi...

I've friended people on Facebook for a variety of reasons --

Various common interests (languages, history, religion, literature, human rights)

or because we're both writers, or pagans, or witches, or Unitarians (or poly or bi or "open")

Or because we've both lived in Virginia, or Germany, or Japan.

or because we both speak any number of the same languages.

Or because we like the same writers, or composers, or films.

Or because they live somewhere I'm interested in.

Yes -- I admit -- There were times when I noticed someone was irresistibly gorgeous....

...but I don't know that I ever friended someone just for that.

Sometimes they posted an interesting remark or something funny or poetic.

At this point...well...after I arrived at 1,000 friends, I put a moratorium on myself.  I thought, "Who are all these people?????"  And I decided to try to get to know them better, rather than just accumulating even more "friends."

At  this point....I can't remember how often I included a note to say why I was interested in being their friend.  I'm sure I didn't do it for all 1,000+ people I've friended.

Then again, some of those 1,000 have friended me for any number of reasons.  I generally accept.  I only hesitate if.....I have idea who these people are.  By which I mean....nothing much on their profile, no photo -- and if I send them a message to say "hi, how did you find out about me?" they ignore it.

No comments:

Post a Comment