Tuesday, September 17, 2013

The Poly-Love I Need






My latest effort for our South Bay Poly newsletter.  Perhaps I've got it, more or less, this time.

# # #

I’m trying this again.  For years I’ve tried to put my finger on, and explain, what polyamory means to me; why, for me, it is different from “free love.”  A few days ago I thought I had it; well let’s see.

For me it’s a lot like the “standard paradigm” of finding love—only with more people.  It isn’t “promiscuity” as I understand it; it isn’t “sleeping around.”  It isn’t “love for kicks with strangers.”  But it can happen with more than one person at once.

Maybe that’s it.  It isn’t sex with strangers I’ll never see again.  It’s getting closer to people I’m attracted to and am interested in; people I’d like to be close to for an extended time (possibly forever).

Not to say that “sex can’t be just fun.”  It can be.  But, for me, not with strangers.  I’m not comfortable enough with most people to enjoy physical closeness.  At the very least, if I’m with someone I don’t know very well, I have to feel like I’m becoming close to them.

No comments:

Post a Comment