Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Grail and Wand

Much thought given to what to call this blog.

At first I was thinking along the lines of "The Pagan Monk."  But I didn't actually mean "monk," although I have often thought of myself as a Pagan "monk."  But I didn't mean that I withdraw from the world.  I meant more "solitary" or following my own intuitive path.  I considered "Pagan Voyager."  But that is very close to a phrase used by various other artists or writers.  And I wanted to imply something that joined apparent opposites.

Then various Tantric-suggestive ideas came to mind, encompassing a union of the sexual/sensual and the spiritual.  "Grail" I was very comfortable with; but what would be the appropriate word for the male-oriented half of this union?  "Rod?"  "Staff?"  Finally I remembered "Wand;" perhaps that could be pried a bit away from its stage-magic and Harry Potter associations.  I had avoided referring to the "Spear" as described in Wagner's Parsifal; or the "Blade" as in the book The Chalice and the Blade.  I didn't want to suggest a weapon.  I thought that "Rod" or "Staff" sound too suggestive.  But "Wand" already has magical connotations, just as "Grail" does.  So "Wand" it is:  "Grail and Wand."

No comments:

Post a Comment