Sunday, January 5, 2014

Film Review: Cole Porter’s Can-Can



I remember seeing this film when I was perhaps eleven years old; I saw it with my mother.  And since bought the soundtrack album, I soon memorized the songs.  That would be about fifty years ago!

I hadn’t seen the film since then.  I found a few clips on YouTube, but the reviewers were not kind and I figured it had never been put on DVD; then I found it on Netflix.

It was enjoyable and entertaining.  I did have quibbles with the characterizations; Shirley MacLaine and Frank Sinatra both seem to fall into obvious traps in the course of the story; but the sets are beautiful, the dancing is great (Hermes Pan was the choreographer), and I love being immersed again in the Belle Époque 1890s of Paris/Montmartre.  Toulouse-Lautrec walks past in the opening sequence, and midway through the film Shirley MacLaine rips in half a sketch he has left on his café table when he doesn’t have the money to pay his bill.

Consider that the book for this musical was a plea against censorship, written during the McCarthy era.  The film appeared in 1960.  Nikita Khrushchev was allegedly offended after watching the can-can on set.

Many people complained that they couldn’t imagine Frank Sinatra playing a Frenchman; I wonder if they could imagine him as an Italian!  He’s paired with two definite Frenchmen:  Maurice Chevalier and Louis Jourdan.  Curiously, no one seemed to complain that they couldn’t imagine Shirley MacLaine playing a French woman!

I did enjoy this film.  I notice that when people were sworn in the trial scenes, they did not say “So help me, God.”  I noticed the various ways that Sinatra pronounced his French.

It might surprise people to learn that censorship actually was an issue in 1890’s Paris.  Many groups worked for the “suppression of Vice.”  Maybe it wasn’t so different in the United States of the mid-twentieth century.

This being a Cole Porter musical, however, you shouldn’t be surprised to learn that the censors are won over by the art.

No comments:

Post a Comment